Sunday, August 9, 2009

Tomorrow is a New Day

Every day is a new beginning, so they say. Another favourite of mine is "It's never too late to be what you might have been. "

Well, I might have been a ballerina, but I'm not. I swept along a different path, through ups and downs and around many twists and turns, scrambling through briars and wading through deep muddy patches, over bare ground and fertile soils, forests, high mountain passes and deep dark valleys. Well, OK, maybe not literally, but I can't say it's been an uneventful life.

So here I am, almost fifty, and who am I? What have I achieved, what do I have to show for half a century of living time? What have I learned from all the twisting and turning and following of paths? What makes me happy - do I even remember? Who is that person gazing at me from the mirror, overweight, drooping and sad looking, but still alert? How did she get here? And why hasn't she given up yet?

Well, I'm here to find out some answers, and to create a diary of my journey towards my fiftieth birthday and beyond, while I take myself in hand and find out how to improve my life a bit.

It's the start of a new week tomorrow, so the plan is to start a new eating regime, walking and exercise program and to start to take a bit better care of myself. I plan on being here for a long time yet, and I don't want to go any further not looking and feeling the best I can, inside and out. More than anything, this has to be an inner journey, because you can't be the best you can be, without finding out who you are and why you are what you are without some internal searching.

I want to lose weight too, but I don't care about being thin as much as I care about getting healthy, and not going into my fifties with an increased possibility of disease of one kind or another. I want energy and vitality to push me through the day, and I want to get to the end of the day going, woohoo, what a ride!